How to Use the Catalog
The Merlin Online Library Catalog
With a library card you can request, renew, save searches and save your reading history. Merlin's new features include ratings, thumbnail images, quick links for preferred searches, and "My Lists" to track what you are considering checking out.
How to renew:
With a library card you can renew your own materials online. Materials with reserves are not renewable.
1. Log into your record and click "Items currently checked out"
2. Check the boxes of the materials you want to renew. Click the Renew Selected button.>
3. To renew everything, click the Renew ALL button.
4. Check the "Status" column for new due dates. A message will appear if items cannot be renewed.
How to save preferred searches:
If you have a favorite author or subject for which you often search when using the catalog, you can save the search with the click of a button. This will prevent you from having to key in the search each time and let you place reserves on new materials quicker.
1. Log into your record and click "Search Catalog" and create a simple or advanced search.
2. Save your search by clicking on the "Save as preferred search"
3. The next time you log into your record, click the "Preferred Searches" button to view your saved searches.
4. Click on the search link in the list to quickly execute your search.
5. You can be alerted of materials added to the collection which match your preferred searches. Check the "Mark for Email" box. Be sure your current email is in your patron record.
How to save a reading history:
From your patron record you can begin saving a list of what you check out. Your list begins as soon as you "opt in" and can be deleted if you "opt out" of the reading history.
1. Log into your record and click the "My Reading History" button.
2. Click on the "Opt In" button.
3. The reading history will now begin to keep track of what you check out.
How to create and save lists of records:
To manage lists of records in your patron account, use the following instructions:
1. Log into your record and click "Search catalog" and create a simple or advanced search.
2. Save individual records by clicking on the "Book Cart" button.
3. Go to "View saved" to view your saved items.
4. Click on the "Save to My Lists" button.
5. "Select a List" from the drop-down menu. If you are creating a new list, choose "Create a new list".
6. Click on boxes to mark items and click on "Submit".
7. View your lists at any time in your record under "My Lists".
Rating Library Materials:
Share your opinions with others, and use ratings to help inform your selections!
1. Search the catalog by author, subject, title, etc.
2. From the Details Screen of the item you're interested in, click on the Rating stars on the left side of the screen.
3. If you are not logged in, you will be prompted to log into your record.
4. To log in, enter your name and your 14-digit library card number, and click Submit.
5. Click on the star rating that bests represents how you feel about the item, from one (poor) to five (excellent).
6. All items you have rated can be seen by clicking the Return to Your Record link in the top right corner of the screen, then clicking the My Ratings button on the right side of the screen.
7. Your ratings are yellow stars, group ratings are blue stars, and items not rated are white stars.